Thursday, June 9, 2011

Nutritional Yeast French Toast & Vegan Pie

Check out this amazing french toast.  I give it a Vegan Gal rating of 8 because it is REALLY good!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup almond or soy milk
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • bread (preferably crusty bread to avoid soggy french toast)
  • oil or margarine for frying

Preparation:

Whisk together all the dry ingredients before adding the almond milk.  Whisk this really well and let stand for a bit while you get the bread and pan ready. Whisk again and then dip each slice of bread into the mixture, coating each side well. Fry on a lightly oiled griddle or skillet until each side is golden brown. You may have to fry it longer than you're used to if you've never made this vegan before. 
This is one of those food that you're non-vegan friends will love and could never guess is vegan!  I just wish I had some vegan sausage to go with it!

For a less sugary meal, skip the maple syrup and eat this with fresh fruit, applesauce, organic powdered sugar or nuts instead.



Also, this evening I made rhubarb strawberry pie.  Very yummy! I give it a Vegan Gal rating of 6.  It is still very tart and sweet.  I recommend adding some warm almond milk or vegan ice cream to cut the tart.


I am hoping to invest in a decent camera so that I can take photos of my veg creations with more than just my cell phone camera.

Happy Compassion Filled Eating!

1 comment: